Win Squeak needs to know about waking up! (Re: Laptop suspending and network drives)

John M McIntosh squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Wed Sep 11 18:15:20 UTC 2002

> You missed my point entirely or perhaps I didn't make it clear enough.
> Of course there are ways of getting notified (there always are) in the
> VM about a startup but what should the VM do?!

I'll point out the mac vm does take action on sleep/wake for sockets.
However some of this has changed between os 8.x and 9.x let alone 10.x
, testing this was a bear and I've not looked at it for years now.

It was more a preventive action because we'd get notified that all our
socket structures were being invalidated and we needed to set some
flags otherwise when squeak wakes up and attempts socket interact then
it would die attempting to use bogus sockets handles. I think starting
in os-9 they keep all the structures now and *maybe* on a wakeup you
continue, but I've not verified that.

Ah, also if someone changes the IP address of the machine while running
a squeak server, dumb idea, notifications of this flow too.

But lets consider this as a broader topic, not only wake/sleep should
be passed up, also quit for example has been raised from time to time
as an issue.

===