Smalltalk Bot

Jon Hylands squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Thu Sep 12 20:55:23 UTC 2002

At Thursday, 12 September 2002, you wrote:

>Yes I know, it's the website of my teacher LoL, but I wanted advice
from professionals of SmallTalk !

Well, that's pretty funny :-)

Well, pretty much the only (free) Smalltalks you can actually use
right now on anything resembling an embedded system are:

Squeak on PDA (Linux or WinCE)
PocketSmalltalk on Palm PDA

You could use a PDA running Smalltalk to do all the high-level "brainy"
stuff for your robot, and talk to your little 8051 MCU over the serial
port to actually do stuff, like control motors and sensors of the
robot. That is the approach I took with MicroSeeker, my autonomous
submarine. A PDA or an embedded single-board-computer runs the control
software in Smalltalk, and all the hardware interfacing is done with
PIC micro-controllers.

Later,
Jon

           http://www.huv.com