How to teach design (was Re: Squeak book !)

Mark Guzdial squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Sat Sep 14 16:34:50 UTC 2002

On Tuesday, September 10, 2002, at 12:11  PM, Michael Fremont wrote:

> At the end of the course, Mark, have the students internalized these
> design ideas?  Do follow-on courses revisit these themes and take
> them farther, for instance, talking about design patterns?

Some of them "get it" by the end.  We've done some external evaluation
and find that our students look similar to expert practitioners at the
end of their O-O training courses.

Follow-on courses, well...coordination among courses in an American
University is more complicated than one might imagine...:-)  Larry
Cuban's "How the Scholar Trumped the Teacher" is one of my favorite
books on the subject of trying to get American University faculty to
focus on teaching issues, and why that's so hard with historical
evidence.

Mark

Mark Guzdial : Georgia Tech : College of Computing
Atlanta, GA 30332-0280
Associate Professor, Learning Sciences & Technologies
Collaborative Software Lab, http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~mark.guzdial/