[GOODIE] SpaghettiTrace

squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Sun Sep 15 20:02:25 UTC 2002

Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> wrote:

> One of the tools in my "DVS" system (which helps manage Squeak code using
> CVS or similar) does almost exactly this.  I'd been using a slightly
> different convention for class extension categories, but I will gladly
> adapt my code to use the * and post it.

Cool. I just looked at the DVS page and assuming you mean ModuleFiler,
and assuming I understand correctly what it does, *that is it*, that's
exactly what I had in mind.

I note that it also doesn't depend in any way on the rest of the DVS
stuff, so it's a pretty small addition to the image.

> The fileIn part of DVS is slightly more interesting, btw - it'll compare
> either two whole fileOuts or a diff file between them, and generate a
> changeset based on the differences.  So it's easy to synchronize your
> image with a file on disk - fileOut, diff, and fileIn the changes.
> This relies on the same notion of lightweight module that Daniel is
> pushing here.  I think it's a great way to go.
> Avi

It'll be pretty trivial to add a menu item in the browser that checks
that the module has valid dependencies, and another that files it out.
All the other required means for refactoring the image are already
included in it (though of course more tools could make things easier).

Daniel Vainsencher