SqueakMap tommorrow?

squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Mon Sep 16 08:14:44 UTC 2002

danielv at netvision.net.il wrote:
> Hey, Goran, all.
>
> I think there are two, and only two, simple use cases that need to work,
> for SqueakMap to become important.
>
> They are very simple to implement.
>
> 1. I download my new image. Bring up the world menu>open, want the
> RefactoringBrowser. Oops. Not there. Ok, world>open>download new brings
> up a simple list of packages. Click to choose, wait, package loaded (I
> only require this be able to d/l one cs.gz and file it in. Better
> formats later).

I have added download/install capabilities in SqueakMap but not released
it yet.
I can probably do such a release today. The idea is that it handles gzip
decompression and filein of changesets and also decompression and
installation of a zip-package as long as that zip-package complies with
the simple rules that Ned Konz outlined earlier.

This stuff is almost working now - I should be able to fix it and
release today.

> The list can be implemented as a dynamic menu, or a plain PLM. But it
> must get into the image, because *otherwise SqueakMap is completely
> useless*.

Eh, no. :-) Have you seen the morphic SqueakMap browser? That is much
better than a menu.

> No one will load a package to make it easier to load other packages. It
> has to be included and on the World menu.

Oh, sure - if that was what you meant I agree - the intention was of
course to get SqueakMap into the image.
But note that 3.2 is released and that 3.3 will be "a different beast"
when we have Modules.

> 2. In the standard Browser, I choose the system category for my package
> People-dvf-ModuleTools. Get the menu, choose "update package". Using
> Avi's ModuleFiler, this category and it's related class extensions are
> filed out into the local disk for safety, and the file gets uploaded
> into an ftp server I preconfigured. The minimal questions come up that
> SqueakMap needs to add/update it's entry.

Yes, I have an intention to let the Modules themselves (optionally)
contain the information that SqueakMap needs and in such a case we would
just issue a simple "update module X" to SqueakMap and it could fetch it
all itself straight from the source.

> Again, this must be in the standard browser, in the 3.2 images. For 3.3a
> it will work in a similar manner *but we don't live in 3.3a yet*.
>
> Comments anyone ?
>
> Daniel

regards, Göran