Release SqueakMap 020917!

squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Mon Sep 16 14:02:56 UTC 2002

Hi all!

Chris Double <chris at double.co.nz> wrote:
> For those of us new to Squeak, what is SqueakMap?
>
> Chris.

Well, a short description is at: http://marvin.bluefish.se:8000/sm/help

Essentially it is a catalog of Squeak software packages available on the
net.
Currently (since it's beta) I run the master catalog (with a web
frontend) at:

http://marvin.bluefish.se:8000/sm

That is (currently) where you can register new packages, update packages
etc.
Handling those write-operations in a distributed fashion and from inside
Squeak (no web UI) will come later.
The master will also move to Squeakfoundation.org when we think it is
out of beta.

Then each person can get his/her local mirror of this map. This is
somewhat inspired by the apt-system in Debian.
The slave map can update itself by requesting an update from the master.
This is very efficient since it only sends the transactions that has
occurred since the last update. It also gzips it. This should work
nicely even over a modem. All this is easily done using the morphic
SqueakMapBrowser.

If you install SqueakMap in a 3.2 image and then fire up the browser you
will see that you can browse a hierarchical tree of categories etc and
download/unpack/install software using that browser.

There are numerous features missing though like free text search etc.
but the stuff that is there works today and features are very easy to
add now when the distribution mechanism is working.

Just ask away for more details, regards Göran