SqueakMap tommorrow?

Göran Hultgren squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue Sep 17 07:16:55 UTC 2002

Hi!

Quoting Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com>:
> On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, [ISO-8859-1] Göran Hultgren wrote:
>
> > Ok, a few questions before I look at this:
> >
> > DVS (and Module filer) is a source repository "thingy", right? Like
> CVSTProj?
>
> Very much like CVSTProj.  More neutral, in that it plays nice with
> existing Squeak tools (DVS fileOuts are in standard chunk-format,
> and synchronization is done by converting diff files to change sets).

Ok.

> But
> I think you're right that SqueakMap should be package-agnostic, at
> least
> until we all agree on a standard.

And that will probably not happen! :-) Well, 3.3 Modules has a good chance of
course.

> > I will add adding/updating package entries in SMSqueakMapBrowser but I
> am not
> > sure how I should hook up some form of "publish" mechanism and still
> keep
> > SqueakMap neutral in that particular "war"...
>
> Well, I don't think that's so much a problem - if you make it easy to
> publish modules on SqueakMap in one particular format, great - those
> who
> don't want to use that format can still use it the way we do now,
> right?

Yes. Hmmm. (thinking aloud here) I think that *adding* a package to SqueakMap
will always be something you do in the SMSqueakMapBrowser (or on the web). It's
a conscious act with several fields to be filled out etc.

The other usecase is when a developer wants to release a new version and at that
point update the entry in SqueakMap at the same time. Hmmmm. There will still be
a morphic UI with fields to fill out etc. so that will surely be done in the
SMSqueakMapBrowser. But does a package "know" enough to be able to "publish"
itself? I don't think so (in general), at least not today. For Modules the
answer will probably be yes, but for other packages the answer is probably no.
The package doesn't know what categories/changesets should be published nor how
they should be packaged etc.

I think I will let this issue rest a while and we can get back to it when
adding/updating package entries work from within the SMSqueakMapBrowser, ok?

> Not that I think fileOut format is going to become a massively
> contentious
> issue anyway...

"massively contentious"? My english parser failed me there I think, did you mean
that it will not become an issue? Well, today we have at least:

A plain .st file *
SIF format
XML formats (CampSmalltalk has one I think)
.cs file (plain or compressed) *
zip-file with an .st file for installing other files *
Modules format *
SCAN
CVSTProj
DVS

And there are surely even more ways to store/package Squeak code. I will at
least make SMSqueakMap be able to install at least the ones marked with asterisk
since they don't require anything more than a virgin 3.2 or 3.3 image.

The publish mechanism will have to wait a bit.

regards, Göran

Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
\"Department of Redundancy department.\" -- ThinkGeek