Getting at the Classic VM

John M McIntosh squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Wed Sep 18 17:04:14 UTC 2002

You can under os-9 using the command-click popup menu on the squeak
icon to expose the menu command 'show package contents', then navigate
down to the MacOSClassic folder and snatch the VM.

If you are using 10.x then you again use command-click on the squeak vm
and issue the menu command 'show package contents' That will get you a
new finder window up to navigate the package folder.

If you run os-8.x then you just see the folders.

A package is just the root of a folder with a special layout and it
looks like an application. A bit in the folder attributes and/or the
prefix '.app' is used to identify the folder as a package in os-x and
os9

On Wednesday, September 18, 2002, at 05:27  AM, Rudi Angela wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm in the course of making an installer for a Squeak application
> targetting systems prior to OS 9. I want to use the latest VM (3.2.8),
> but at the download sites I can only find the OSX savvy versions. Now
> I understand that the OSX .app folder does contain the Classic VM in a
> subfolder Contents/MacOSClassic/. But I can't manage to make a copy of
> this VM. I'm using a machine with MacOS 10.2 and 9.2. In X I can only
> copy the VM using the command line's 'cp', which does not make a
> proper copy (something goes wrong with the resources). Under OS9 the
> .app folder is recognized as a 'package' so I cannot look into it in
> the Finder.
> I tried ResEdit, which does allow me to navigate into the package
> folder, but then with ResEdit I cannot move or copy the VM either.
>
> Any tips how I can get this simple task done, or how I can get the
> latest version of the Classic VM?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rudi Angela

> The NEW Netscape 7.0 browser is now available. Upgrade now!
> http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/download.jsp

> http://webmail.netscape.com/

===