[Q]ComSwiki

PhiHo Hoang squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Fri Sep 20 06:14:35 UTC 2002

Bert,

> >     Using ComSwiki, how do you escape the '#' character ?
>
> You should direct Comanche/Swiki specific questions to the increasingly
> inappropriately named "PWS" mailing list.

    Thanks for the tips.

> >     One more question, does ComSwiki do GC ? Are zombie pages get
collected
> > automagically or it must be done by hand ?
>
> So you think a hypertext reference (URL) is a pointer to a page. The
> object memory would be ... the Internet, right?  Running on the most
> powerfull multi-platform distributed VM. I like that idea.

    Yeah, that's pretty close (there may be even a cigar ;-)

> But, even if we just want to ref scan the part of the Internet
> called WWW that could be an enourmous effort.

    Let's hope the effort is not so enormous when any of these become real
products:

    - Microsoft's Millennium
http://www.research.microsoft.com/sn/Millennium/
    - IBM's, HP's and others's similar projects (from the news in the link
to Sun's N1)
    - Sun's N1 http://news.com.com/2100-1001-832442.html

    (N1 is listed last despite the fact that it is the latest hype from Sun
being covered by the press during the last couple days at  SunNetwork 2002
simply because SUNW has been establishing 6 year low for the last few weeks.
Today it closed at 2.70, a new 6 year low)

    But actualy, all really needed is just some action at the local home
site.

> There might even be clusters of pages that can't be reached from your
place
> but still references a page in your object space. Like, say, on my local
harddisk?

    Sorry, I am lost.

> More to the point, there are no "zombie pages" because they are still
> "referenced" by the "changes page".

    Supposing I am creating a link 'MobVM' pointing to a page of same name
'MobVM'.

    On the page 'MobVM', several other new links were created pointing to
several other new pages.

    Then in due course, I realize that I don't like the pages I created.

    So I edit the 'MobVM' page several times, deleting one link at a time.

    Finally deleting the 'MobVM' link, I am no longer interested in
maintaining this page.

    What would the 'changes page' be referencing now ?

    Or I lost interest pretty soon after these links/pages were created.

    I just simply delete the 'MobVM' link without bothering to delete the
links in the 'MobVM' page.

> And, it's a design principle of Swiki never to delete anything,
> even pages that nothing else inside the swiki points at.
> Should be a design principle of the WWW in a whole ...

    Is this documented somewhere ?

    What's the rational behind it ?

    IMHO,. if the pages are unreachable locally at the Swiki/Web site, they
should be GC'ed.

    This would prevent other sites in the world from referencing them.
    (Through some robots before they were abandoned) .

    It's better to give them a broken link than a page that is abandoned,
not maintained.
    (How can it be ? It doesn't even 'exist' locally.)

    Bert, thanks for responding.

    Cheers,

    PhiHo.