SqueakMap tommorrow?

squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Fri Sep 20 22:29:41 UTC 2002

Nope. You haven't missed them, we just don't have them yet.
BTW, if you want to bring that particular item closer, I have some ideas
you could explore.

Do note this whole idea of logical modules, or packages, is not quite
yet one coherent piece, though some of the pieces are becoming useful
by themselves.

For example, the ModuleFiler as posted by Avi can right now fileout a
complete logical module. There is no browser integration yet, but I've
coded some up already, so it should be there soon.

The package loader, when I'm done integrating it with Goran's work, will
enable us to download packages into squeak very easily, and thus let
projects external to the image be much more accessible to people, and
much more significant.

When Goran creates an api for updates, and I integrate that with Avi's
ModuleFiler, it will be trivial for anyone to maintain their own project
outside the image, including publishing their changes and fixes
(something that's been a pain to many, to me with maintaining the
RefactoringBrowser).

But for all this to happen, we need to get feedback now on the fledgling
pieces.

If everyone were to try out SqueakMap, for example, just try to download
it, install it, and use it to automatically install SeaSide. Tell us
what should be improved in this process.

Or get the latest minimal Loader, and imagine opening in a new, clean
modular squeak, that has, well, almost no tools in it. What would you
need the loader to do for you?

Daniel Vainsencher