A step towards enlightenment.

Alan Grimes squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Mon Sep 23 21:42:02 UTC 2002

My brain supprised the hell out of me last night by actually reaching a
useful conclusion. =P

I realized that the world state of any given world doesn't advance by
receiving an interuput directly but rather it is driven by a squeak
process.

I followed up on this flash of inspiration this morning by using
"Process Browser". It didn't take me long to discover that the most
likley candidate was "The Morphic UI process". I guess the pane on the
right is some kind of trace of the process.

Having made this breakthrough in my understanding, I went to the swiki
and searched for "UI process" but couldn't find anything.

It is now clear that a critical missing ingredient of my AI-world
project is a clone of this process. How do I design and activate such a
process?

It appears that the primary loop of the AI will look something like
this:

Upudate worldstate.
Do one AI step.
Update world state.
do one AI step.
etc for the rest of the day (I hope). ;)

It may be desirable to have the ability to take the AI out of the loop
or add it back to change its active status.

What is the best source for this information?
I have done some textbook reading in time-sharing and Pthreads but no
experience.

--
Latency is your enemy.
Bandwidth is your friend.