Ideas, Experiences required for changes managements

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Tue Apr 1 00:54:26 UTC 2003

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Andrew Berg wrote:

> Ok, so RSH and SSH (IIRC) both connect to sshd which does authentication
> and launches something.  SSH is hardwired to default to the remote default
> shell, RSH takes the something from the command line.  Via SSH it would be
> trivial to do port redirection which would then allow the local CVS to talk
> "pserver" to the remote one.  Running a remote CVS instance and
> communicating with it over stdio sounds like a more RSH kind of thing, but
> that is easy enough to accomplish with SSH also.

The point here is not to find some arbitrary way of tunneling CVS traffic
over SSH, but to be compatible with the way, eg, sourceforge's CVS over
SSH works.  I don't know the details, but it's whatever the CVS
client does when you give it -d:ext:user at host:/path as the cvs root, and
when CVS_RSH is set to "ssh".  My assumption is that this is, as you say,
launching a remote cvs client and communicating over stdio, but what this
communucation looks like I have no idea.  I'm pretty sure it's not the
same as the pserver protocol.

Anyone better informed, or should I look it up?  Julian?

Avi