Ideas, Experiences required for changes managements

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Tue Apr 1 07:48:32 UTC 2003

Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Andrew Berg wrote:
>
> > Ok, so RSH and SSH (IIRC) both connect to sshd which does authentication
> > and launches something.  SSH is hardwired to default to the remote default
> > shell, RSH takes the something from the command line.  Via SSH it would be
> > trivial to do port redirection which would then allow the local CVS to talk
> > "pserver" to the remote one.  Running a remote CVS instance and
> > communicating with it over stdio sounds like a more RSH kind of thing, but
> > that is easy enough to accomplish with SSH also.
>
> The point here is not to find some arbitrary way of tunneling CVS traffic
> over SSH, but to be compatible with the way, eg, sourceforge's CVS over
> SSH works.  I don't know the details, but it's whatever the CVS
> client does when you give it -d:ext:user at host:/path as the cvs root, and
> when CVS_RSH is set to "ssh".  My assumption is that this is, as you say,
> launching a remote cvs client and communicating over stdio, but what this
> communucation looks like I have no idea.  I'm pretty sure it's not the
> same as the pserver protocol.
>
> Anyone better informed, or should I look it up?  Julian?

I looked it up some more and came to these conclusions:

1. When using RSH/SSH the client does a normal login and then does "bash
-c cvs server" - it starts the cvs executable with the argument "server"
on the server side. Then I assume it is simply relying on stdin/stdout.

2. It is indeed the same protocol as the pserver protocol apart from not
starting with the "I LOVE YOU" authentication handshake. I haven't
verified this - quite easy to do, but I read in the docs and it sure
sounds like it. (Yiha)

3. SF handles both SSH1 and SSH2.

So, indeed - with using OSProcess and an external ssh executable we
should quite easily get sqcvs working over SSH. It would of course be
even cooler if someone could whip up an openssl/ssh plugin... :-)

regards, Göran