It's Not A Game

Andrew Berg andrew_c_berg at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 1 18:02:09 UTC 2003

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 17:00:23 +0200, Marcus Denker <marcus at ira.uka.de> wrote:

> The problem is: Sony and Microsoft are actually loosing money with
> each sale of the hardware. The whole gaming-console industry works
> only because the hardware-manufacturers are getting money back from
> *every* game sold.

That's almost true.  Sony is right near the break-even point with their
hardware.  (Nintendo actually makes a profit on theirs.)  Microsoft is
losing money on each one, hoping to make up for it by selling games, or by
selling consoles at a small profit once the other 99.3% of the population
starts wanting one.  So far, M$ really appears to be just dumping piles of
money into that sector, probably just trying to get a decent beach head for
their next-generation home "everything" console.

Sony'll sell you a kit to let you put Linux on a Playstation 2:
http://us.playstation.com/hardware/more/SCPH-97047.asp is the Sony kit to
do just that.  It seems a bit expensive, but it contains a HD, KB, Mouse
and a NIC so it does add some value.  Microsoft very much wants this to not
happen, for exactly the reasons you describe.

> As soon as you would allow people to start Squeak on a XBox or
> Playstation, they could load Squeak programms over the network.
> (e.g. multiuser games implemented in Croquet) *without paying the tax*.

It seems to me that a port of Squeak to the PS2+Linux should not even
require hacking.  Just a good, old-fashioned recompile.  Now, making one
run directly on PS2 and boot native might be a bit more work.  From my
previous life as a game programmer, I suspect that Sony's reasons for
wanting to suppress this are similar to what Nintendo's have always been:
If they let just any schmuck write and distribute games/apps/whatever for
their platform, the overall quality of the software available for the
platform might very well degrade, causing a bad perception on the part of
the "normal" users.  That is a large part (at least as it was explained to
me) of their licensing cost structure--in depth QA testing and playability
testing to ensure that the perceived quality of PlayStation or Nintendo
games is high.

> Getting Squeak to run on such a system is not the real problem, e.g.
> Squeak has allready been ported to the PS2...

Is there a bootable ISO that runs natively?  I'd like to see that.

-andrew

andrew_c_berg at yahoo.com