Squeak has spoiled me!

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Apr 2 19:54:56 UTC 2003

Hi jimmie

Everybody learns by doing mistakes. When I started Smalltalk I tried to
edit de changes file just to see :)

Now what would be really cool is that you produce a good script and that
you edit a wiki page explaining it, so that other can learn from it too.

I think that an important point of smalltalk is that you do not want to
know
everything but you want to know how to learn. So focus your attention
on the debugger, senders and implementors.

Stef

On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 05:55 AM, Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> Ned Konz wrote:
> >>On Monday 31 March 2003 02:51 pm, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
> jh>>I always click on 'debug' sometimes I do learn why my code fails.
> jh>>Sometimes I just learn I don't know very much. :)
> jh>>I regularly learn I didn't place a '.' at the end of a statement.
> >
> nk> At least you don't have to worry about indentation!
>
> Despite the fact I was frustrated with my inability to solve my
> problem (on my own in Squeak)(and was able to quickly in Python) I
> very much want to use Squeak and not Python. :)
>
> The error I spoke of above is a simple thing. I know as I spend more
> time in Squeak, I'll have less of that problem. But that problem and
> any other I encounter are so elegantly fixed in my code within my
> living environment. No exiting to an Editor/IDE... No opening,
> editing, saving and recompiling (even to bytecode) of files. No
> explicit module/code reloading. Simply go to my browser, my workspace
> or edit directly in the debugger, accept and/or doit. Sweet.
>
> Save my environment and its ready for another day and time.
>
> I find it challenging to look at or try other languages without asking
> myself, "why am I here?".
>
> I am thoroughly spoiled by simplicity of Smalltalk, the living
> environment of Squeak. I just can't go back.
> I know Squeak has its own issues. But what language/IDE doesn't?
> Since I get to choose my issues, there's little question of my answer.
>
> I know I have a lot to learn.
> I thank all here who are willing to help those like me, who have a lot
> to learn. I know it will be worth it to/for me.
>
> I know someday I'll be able to contribute more to this community and
> to Squeak than questions to simple problems. I may have questions to
> complex problems. :)
>
> Seriously tho', thanks.
>
> SoonToBeContributor
> Jimmie Houchin

Prof. Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
different? ...  especially if,
  by doing something different, today might not be your last day on
earth" Calvin&Hobbes

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it..." Alan Kay.

Open Source Smalltalks: http://www.squeak.org,
http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/smalltalk.html
Free books for Universities at
http://www.esug.org/sponsoring/promotionProgram.html