A naive question about the speed optimization of anthony

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Wed Apr 2 22:48:56 UTC 2003

As far as I understand, Anthony has split his original changes (which
were targeted to VI4) into the following -

1. Compatible code changes to 3.4's Contexts, fixing existing bugs, and
required to support -
2. A new compiler that generates BC correct code, that requires two new
VM primitives to run reasonably fast.
3. Image format changes that create a different representation, allowing
BC and more speed.

I don't know how good this stuff is. Assuming it's wonderful code (which
I'm not, though it probabaly is) my divination rod tells me these
*Could* be included in, respectively, 3.6, 3.7/8, and 4.0 (by
definition).

This will absolutely, definitely NOT happen, unless -
1. We get enthusiastic reports from users that torture blocks.
Preferably not only from Avi, however much we like Avi.
2. Someone else says they really understand it, including effects on
VM/Jitter (at least to the extent of "it doesn't completely prevent
Jitter"), and are reasonably happy with it.
3. We resolve the license issues for 2.

We will still have to deal with a little integration noise in replacing
a compiler that's very well integrated with it's environment, but
assuming it's good long term (see above), we'll deal with those.

Daniel