A naive question about the speed optimization of anthony

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Apr 2 22:02:40 UTC 2003

Hi, actually I'll throw a question back. In some respects a concern I
have is how that changes how an application runs. Right now because you
lack full blocks with proper closure one can code up some smalltalk
that works just fine for your application right now. But after
introducing the VM change, why it will behave differently. This is the
risk that we face in making the VM change, beyond performance.

So now I'm wondering if as an re-engineering challenge you folks have a
tool that could statically evaluate blocks and decide if a particular
block has risky behavior, thus it would need to be reviewed/retested
when used with VM that does proper closure.

On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 12:06  PM, Stephane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi
(2) what are the problems to introduce them in Squeak (for example with
the optimizations is seaside continuation passing style still working),

> So tell me
>
> Stef
> --
===