KCP looking for external reviewers

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Apr 4 18:15:08 UTC 2003

Hi daniel

On Friday, April 4, 2003, at 06:50 PM, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> Cool. I want you to get reviewers, but "Kernel" sounds a little scary.

No it is not. In fact Morph is far more complex. This is just that this
is a bit meta.

> Actually many of the changes you're making are pretty simple design
> issues that don't require understanding any voodoo to review, but a few
> small things would help:

We did that on purpose. Basically there are a lot of basic oo modeling
there.
Moving methods at the right place, having consistent interfaces.
Minimizing dependencies between classes.

> * I am not sure what problems you're actually attacking, from the list
> of suggestions. Unless you explain every goal you decide to attack, why
> should people look at your changesets? Here are the goals I know about
> -
>
>  - Eliminate dependencies from the kernel class on application classes.

Yes this is goal one.
Having a small kernel based on layers. So that we could use the kernel
without the layers.

>  - Move user level functionality (for example, that supporting
> reflection (browsing senders)) out of the kernel.

Yes. But the browse menu use POPUPMENU so this was having dependency to
UI classes

> Anything else? make it clear on the web page.
> * Since you're changing design, it would be nice to have justifications
> for the major decisions.

The only design point up until now was the creation of the class
SystemNavigation.
All the rest is cleaning for example using self environment instead of
Smalltalk
is just using a method that exist but everybody forgot.

> For example, is self environment always a good
> replacement for Smalltalk? external reviewers shouldn't need to reverse
> engineer your changes, just review them.

Hardcoding Smalltalk everywhere is simply bad because the method
environment
existed before. This way a class can define its own environment.
Hardcoding everything hampered that.

> * Sometime the name is so brief,
This is because on mac we cannot have long name. I loaded a changeset
of diego that fixed that.

> I don't understand what the changeset
> is supposed to do. This prevents me from finding something nice and
> reviewing it.

But there is always a premable (or this was a mistake from us). We
stopped
editing the page because everything is in the preamble. So we were
going too slow.

Tell me if the information in the preamble is not enough.

Stef