KCP looking for external reviewers

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Apr 5 13:08:42 UTC 2003

> [changes not independent]
> For the general harvest process, this would make me not approve them.
> But I answer your specific case on the SqF thread.

How can we create changeset that are not dependent. If I move method A
from class B to class B. Then if later on we want to fix another aspect
and we have to modify method A this method A will be on classB. So the
two changesets ARE dependent. Sorry I do not see how we could do that
in another way.

But I'm not on SqF list.

> [SystemDictionary is kept as part of the kernel, to be partitioned
> later, with some parts outside the kernel (IIUC)]
> Ok.
>
>>> In change 11, you implement
>>> Behavior>>allUnsentMessages by referencing the current environment,
>>> instead of Smalltalk. Why not remove it completely? what's your
>>> rationale for leaving functionality in the kernel, or moving it out,
>>> into something else?
>>
>> I have to check but the idea was to avoid big bang changes which we
>> could do
>> but nobody we not get it.
>
> I didn't understand that.

I want to say that this would be easier for us to work like mad during
3 weeks and
produce a new kernel than generating tiny changesets one after the
other one.

> I'm trying to understand what should in your
> opinion be the functionality of the kernel, and what should be outside.

UI should be out,
everything related to class compiled method should be in. I do not want
to go into the detail but we want to have a core with layers and be
able to deploy a image with just the core so we should not have
dependencies between core layers and external layers.

> Daniel

Prof. Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
different? ...  especially if,
  by doing something different, today might not be your last day on
earth" Calvin&Hobbes

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it..." Alan Kay.

Open Source Smalltalks: http://www.squeak.org,
http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/smalltalk.html
Free books for Universities at
http://www.esug.org/sponsoring/promotionProgram.html