Help with morph and world refresh

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Apr 6 14:00:20 UTC 2003

Hi

I read all the material on karel and what you can do is limited. The
tutorial on karel are rather procedural oriented. The Java version end
up you writing subclasses just because you cannot extend classes in
Java. But as always if people are forced to use that language to
teach....

I think that robots are interesting for conditional programming. This
is only for that that I used them at least. With the turtles I go over
loops, variable, abstraction, composition I chose to introduce robots
to have a book not only with turtles. But simply with turtle I can use
them to simulate animals and other nice stuff (I should really finish
it now ;))

I'm curious to see what alan will reply to you too.
Stef

On Sunday, April 6, 2003, at 03:58 AM, wallingf at math-cs.cns.uni.edu
wrote:

>>> and I wanted to be sequential.
>>
>> OK. Then I think that LOGO is quite a bit better for children
>> cognitively than Karel, but maybe you have made your robot more like
>> the LOGO turtle?
>
>      I'm curious as to why you think Logo is better for children
>      than Karel.  I know folks who are using Karel, but if they
>      are better served switching to Logo, I'd like to help them.
>      (Of course, I'd like to get them to use eToys soon!)
>
> ---- Eugene

Prof. Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
different? ...  especially if,
  by doing something different, today might not be your last day on
earth" Calvin&Hobbes

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it..." Alan Kay.

Open Source Smalltalks: http://www.squeak.org,
http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/smalltalk.html
Free books for Universities at
http://www.esug.org/sponsoring/promotionProgram.html