Camp Smalltalk

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Apr 6 19:30:57 UTC 2003

What I can tell is that the camps at ESUG were not traditional camps.
So pay attention if you are a newby I would favor ESUG camp but you can
ask other participants.

Stef

On Sunday, April 6, 2003, at 09:14 PM, Boris Gaertner wrote:

> Marco Paga <mail at marco-paga.de> wrote:
>
>>> Hi.
>>> I've read that CS6 will be in Germany, so I'm thinking about going
>>> there.
>>> But do you think that they just want die-hard smalltalkers not me as
>>> a newbie?
> Discrimination of newbies would be against all traditions of Smalltalk
> culture.I do not think that this can happen.
>
> Have you read reports from earlier CampSmalltalk events? It is perhaps
> good
> idea to look at
> http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/CampSmalltalk/Camp+Smalltalk+%40+Essen+ESUG
> for a report from the event at Essen two years ago.
> When you search for "Camp Smalltalk" on
> http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/CampSmalltalk
> you will find 142 items.
>
> To find out what will be offered at CS6, we should talk to each other.
>
> It would be nice to know the plans and the expectations of the
> participants (and those that still hesitate).
> May I ask these persons to answer these four questions?
>
> 1. Did you ever attend a CampSmalltalk?
> 2. Have you decided to come or do you still hesitate?
> 3. What do you want to see and to hear?
> 4. What can you bring? (bugs, finished and unfinished code, lectures,
>     workshops, presentations, a lot of questions, ... )
>
> I will now follow my own advice and tell you this:
>
> 1. No, I did not.
> 2. I still have not decided but I find CampSmalltalk very attractive.
>     I will decide within the next few days.
> 3. My interest is focused on Squeak. It is therefore understandable
>     that I would search communication with Squeakers. (Information
>     about other Smalltalks is of course interesting, but I would take
>     that as 'collateral' profit. Hey folks, I managed to find the
> opposite
>     of  'collateral damage' !!! )
>     I would be delighted to learn more about multilingual Squeak,
>     about software to write music, about mathematical software
>     (both numerical and symbolic maths).
> 4. My work on MVC, an unfinished maths program, a
>     lot of interest in multilingual software and some fonts.
>

> Do not forget: Registrations should be made until Apr 19.
>
> Greetings,
> Boris
> http://www.bgaertner.gmxhome.de

Prof. Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
different? ...  especially if,
  by doing something different, today might not be your last day on
earth" Calvin&Hobbes

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it..." Alan Kay.

Open Source Smalltalks: http://www.squeak.org,
http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/smalltalk.html
Free books for Universities at
http://www.esug.org/sponsoring/promotionProgram.html