Monticello status

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Mon Apr 7 06:34:58 UTC 2003

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003, Derek Brans wrote:

> What happened to the old Monticello that did remote repositories? This
> new one looks more like DVS.

The old code is still available at
http://beta4.com/squeak/aubergines/source/Versioning.st

The problem with it was that as far as I know, *nobody* was actually using
it.  Including me.  And since I wasn't using it, I wasn't hacking on it
either (as I said at one point in the Modules discussion, I don't work
*on* things I can't work *in* - and I make very little allowance for
bootstrapping).

The current version of Monticello has a more sophisticated model (thanks
in part to Colin Putney, its Patch objects are now reversible, for
example, and its merging is better), but it has an intentionally simpler
UI - one that, as you mention, mimics DVS, and completely ignores the
more interesting parts of the system.  This is a sneaky ploy to get people
(mostly me) to adopt the Monticello code model before the rest of
Monticello is finished.  As I (and hopefully others) start to use it, at
first in the same old way we used DVS, more and more of what I currently
do externally (storing code, showing version histories, merging, diffing)
can be added to Monticello itself.  Eventually, we'll have a full fledged
pure Squeak versioning system.  Or that's the theory, anyway.  But the key
thing with tools like this (as we've seen a couple of times already) is to
introduce them slooooowly and incrementally.

Cheers,
Avi