Monticello status

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Mon Apr 7 07:00:30 UTC 2003

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Stephane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi avi
>
> I still strongly believe that having a declarative model would be
> excellent.
> Do you think we could built something on top of moticello?

Monticello's model is geared very specifically towards versioning.  One of
the results of this bias is that each code element is modelled largely
independently.  A single Revision may contain both the declaration of a
method and the definition of the class that method belongs to, but there
is no explicit link between the two (no object references from one to the
other) - only a correspondence of names.  It is only when the code is
being loaded from the model into the image that those two will be linked
up.  This makes for much simpler diffing, patching, and merging
operations, and allows things like class extensions to be modelled with
minimal fuss, but I have no idea if it would be an appropiate base for
what you're trying to build.  Can you give me some idea of what that might
be?

Avi