Monticello status

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Apr 7 07:40:54 UTC 2003

> It may be obvious from what Avi said, but I would like to note
> explicitly that Monticello does, in fact, use a declarative model of
> Smalltalk code. I'm interested in refining that model so that it can
> serve as a base for not only versioning, but all sorts of coding
> tools: browsers, debuggers, change sorters, fileout mechanisms,
> refactoring tools, code analyzers etc. It would indeed be excellent.

Great colin so we should work together (even if I have to finish other
stuff).
I think that the first step would be to have a declarative model for
Squeak covering ClassVariable, PoolVariable, Global in particular.

  You should then look at Ginsu because this was the idea. For the
runtime, joseph was using a nice trick that if an entity Smalltalk was
there the messages where forwarded directly. This way the tools were
based on the ginsu model but the run-time was not modified.

Stef