Monticello status

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Apr 7 08:24:25 UTC 2003

> Explicitly modelling instance variables would also be useful, at least
> from a versioning standpoint.  You'll notice that in your snippet of
> declarative specification you have InstanceVariable as a separate
> declaration, whereas in mine (for now) inst vars are part of the class
> declaration.  Among other things, this doesn't merge properly (if Colin
> and I concurrently add an inst var to the same class, the conflict
> would
> have to be manually resolved).

So having explicit instance variable is really simple to add.

> The hard part here is that if variables (class, pool, instance) are
> treated separately from their class declaration, they can be in
> different
> packages - and currently in Squeak there's no way to mark that (for
> methods we can abuse method categories, but no equivalent metadata
> exists
> for variables).

This is clear but we can imagine a normal use for now and see later.
Once you have
explicit support for package then the package becomes the palce where
you want to attached this information. Note that having a package
object would solve a lot of problems that will arrive for Pool and
Global for example

> If anyone has a brilliant suggestion of how to resolve this with
> minimal
> changes to the kernel, I'll be delighted to modify PackageInfo and
> Monticello to suit.

Just having a package, bundle classes containing other declaration
would be enough.
I guess.

I will discuss with roel and alex because we need also a declarative
syntax for the classBoxes.

Stef

Prof. Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
different? ...  especially if,
  by doing something different, today might not be your last day on
earth" Calvin&Hobbes

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it..." Alan Kay.

Open Source Smalltalks: http://www.squeak.org,
http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/smalltalk.html
Free books for Universities at
http://www.esug.org/sponsoring/promotionProgram.html