Monticello status

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Apr 7 08:58:30 UTC 2003

I think that simple way to handle that is to load everything
atomically: meaning not compile anything before everything is loaded,
then compile the class with their attributes and finally compile the
methods.

You do not want to do all this analysis just for loading a piece of
code. I have to think about it a bit more.

In our system we do not compile code but we have to resolve cross
references for navigation and this is done by a two phases loading and
managing the pointers.

About property annotation in our system we can add any new information
using this approach: the loader catch error and when a message is not
understood store the values as a tagged properties this way the format
is open to extensions.

Stef

On Monday, April 7, 2003, at 10:34 AM, Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Stephane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> So having explicit instance variable is really simple to add.
>
> I think so, yes.  Last time I remember considering it, I got hung up on
> prereqs... ah, yes, it would require method declarations to know which
> inst vars they used (since those have to be loaded before the method
> can
> compile), and that seemed a bit of a hassle.  I guess you have to ask
> the
> method for its prerequisite variable names (it won't be able to tell
> from
> the source whether they're inst, class, pool etc variables) and
> search through first the image and then the rest of the declarations to
> resolve them - the same thing that happens right now for superclasses,
> for
> example.  So I wouldn't call it really simple, but it can (and should)
> certainly be done.
>
>> This is clear but we can imagine a normal use for now and see later.
>> Once you have explicit support for package then the package becomes
>> the
>> palce where you want to attached this information.
>
>> Just having a package, bundle classes containing other declaration
>> would be enough.
>> I guess.
>
> Agreed.
>
> Avi

Prof. Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
different? ...  especially if,
  by doing something different, today might not be your last day on
earth" Calvin&Hobbes

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it..." Alan Kay.

Open Source Smalltalks: http://www.squeak.org,
http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/smalltalk.html
Free books for Universities at
http://www.esug.org/sponsoring/promotionProgram.html