Squeak Xbox port

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Apr 8 01:30:01 UTC 2003

cgreuter at csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Chris Reuter) wrote:

> I don't see the X-Box being a practical Squeak platform unless you can
> just insert the CD and run it.  Hmmm.  Maybe somebody could get MS to
> give us a signed Squeak VM?  I mean, it's not like it's going to cut
> into their market share or anything.
That's pretty much the point of the real meat of that posting. The
control that M$ (et al.) get from a closed box with massive DRM built
in.

> Actually, I'm surprised nobody's tried porting Squeak to the Sega
> Dreamcast.  The things are really cheap these days and you can get a
> mouse and keyboard easily enough.   I actually have a copy of the
> Linux port and it runs X just fine, so Squeak for Linux should port to
> it easily enough.
Hadn't heard of that one and it's probably not important in market terms
because Sega seems to be losing the race to stay in business.

Another interesting target for Squeak is the PVR arena like the high end
TiVo etc. Similar kid of hardware (less emphasis on 3D graphics I
guess!) and similar potential for reaching many livingrooms.

tim
Useful random insult:- Hasn't lost his mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere.