Heavy mailing list ...

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Tue Apr 8 23:32:00 UTC 2003

Phil Jones wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Michael van der Gulik wrote:
>
> > Actually, it would be nice to have a seperate mailing list such as
> > "squeak-announce", where this sort of monthly report is sent. I don't
> > know about other people, but I'm finding squeak-dev a bit too much. 200
> > unread emails... *phew*.
>
> Aren't there any threaded archives of this mailing list? Or online
> discussion forums?

The answers can be found on the Squeak Swiki...

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/608

There is a digest option with the mailing list.

> Also, does anyone have any ideas why all the discussion happens
> here and not on, say, SWiki? Is it that most people like their mail client
> more than their Swiki client? Or is it that once momentum has built up
> here it's difficult to move the community elsewhere?

Having all of these discussions take place on a Swiki wouldn't make that much
sense, IMHO.  Swikis aren't as well suited to heavy-volume discussions on
random topics.  An email list is probably the best, most flexible format for
this... you are only limited by the email reader you choose to use.

Swikis are great for hosting "living" documentation and information that is
maintained by a community, though.

- Doug Way