dead entities (was "Monticello status")

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Apr 9 08:42:24 UTC 2003

Hi goran

I was recently reading the old code of ginsu and this was small and
simple. Really simple, simple, simple...simple. I guess that you could
plug everything you want behind because you have a separation between
representation and run-time objects.

We could have packages and bundles now. I think that people should look
at Ginsu to get inspired by simplicity. We missed an opportunity there.
Now that there is less tension around packages (I call them package
because there is no scoping associated)
this would be good to look at them and understand that this is the
minimum we need.

Please realize that I say that even if I have more fun with classBoxes
(so please no "he is the friend of joseph" &**&&####) which are
packages + namespaces = modules with class extension properties. BTW
Alex has nearly a new VM classBoxes aware.
But before people can play with that he will have to build a complete
new browser.

Stef

On Wednesday, April 9, 2003, at 10:42 AM, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
wrote:

> Craig Latta <craig.latta at netjam.org> wrote:
> [SNIP]
>>> Working with dead entities... Sounds like something out of
>>> Frankenstein. Is there a scenario where we could eventually work with
>>> all living entities? :)
>>
>> 	Sure. Squat, for example, uses live synchronization between
>> conversing
>> systems.
>
> I started playing a little with Magma yesterday and I sure look forward
> into doing more of that. I would guess that building a team development
> tool using Magma would be simply wonderful. Working with a real
> transactional object space á la GemStone is truly fantastic.
>
> If you have never tried it you *really* should. Going back to other
> means of persistance after having used a good OODB just makes you want
> to cry.
>
> But I don't think Magma can store blocks yet but AFAIK Chris has that
> planned when Anthony's stuff arrives.
>
> regards, Göran

Prof. Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
different? ...  especially if,
  by doing something different, today might not be your last day on
earth" Calvin&Hobbes

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it..." Alan Kay.

Open Source Smalltalks: http://www.squeak.org,
http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/smalltalk.html
Free books for Universities at
http://www.esug.org/sponsoring/promotionProgram.html