[DVS] How to mark an extension as belonging to two packages?

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Wed Apr 9 16:02:25 UTC 2003

Ned Konz wrote:
> I've got a case in Connectors where I've extended Morph.
> Now say that someone comes along and wants to modify that method in
> their package (i.e. to override or modify my extension to Morph). How
> should this method be marked to indicate that it belongs to both
> packages?
>
> Right now the test is something like "method category begins with '*',
> packagename". So if they prepend their own package name, it
> disappears from Connectors.
>
> I see this (for instance) in Jacaranda, where Hernan fixed a method
> from Connectors.
>
> He relabled the method category as "*jacaranda-*connectors-something".
> However, that makes it disappear from Connectors unless I change the
> category back.
>
> Would it make sense to change the logic so that the above would be
> seen as both a Jacaranda *and* a Connectors method?

I've encountered a somewhat similar situation.  What I wanted is the
ability extend the same method in two different packages where each
package has it's own implementation.  I don't see a simple solution to
this however (you'd need some way of keeping in-active methods around
and attached to DVS package).

- Stephen