[Q] scrolling large collections

Eddie Cottongim cottonsqueak at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 9 20:33:21 UTC 2003

By the way, although an ambitious changeset like Lex's Largelists may not be
able to gain favor from n squeakers (gaining such acceptance would seem to
be an O(N!) problem) we could do some minor things to help ScrollPane.

Specifically, on every scroll it iterates through all its morphs ( I think
i'm getting this right!) to find their bounds. This as far as I can tell can
be cached very reasonably to at least double the scrolling speed. Calculate
it lazily, and invalidate it upon a #layoutChanged. This isn't a total speed
fix but its simple and a considerable increment.

If anyone is interested in such changes I'll prepare them (its perhaps 2
one-liners), but I'm inclined to believe no one is. Of course if I'm
overlooking something fundamental please let me know.

Eddie