Building GUI Apps

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Thu Apr 10 22:02:21 UTC 2003

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Doug Way wrote:

> > Prefab works great for me still on Squeak 3.4.  There is also just
> > straight up programmatic Morphic and a combination of direct manipulation
> > plus some scripting (ala Hypercard) also still works fine in Squeak 3.4.
>
> True.  For an example of a straight-up Morphic UI app with entry fields,
> notebook tabs, etc., see the "Enhanced IRC Client for Squeak 3.4" app on
> SqueakMap.

In my opinion, programming in straight-up Morphic isn't bad.  I'm not sure
if the issue is that:

a) people just want a slick GUI builder (understandable) or;
b) people think that Morphic would be nasty to program for.

A GUI builder would be understandable.  It is too bad no one has
ressurected Sgui, which used regular Morphic widgets to construct a
regular Morphic UI. I don't think coding in Morphic is all that bad, it is
pretty straight-forward.

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
"a system based on exchanging products inevitably channels wealth to a few, and
   no governmental change will ever be able to correct that."  ::  daniel quinn