Need feedback on simple idea

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Apr 11 07:47:10 UTC 2003

Hi jecel

> Self is my favorite Smalltalk, but simplicity is the result of a
> complete package: message sends are used to replace access to instance
> variables, arguments, temporaries, class variables, pool variables and
> globals variables.

Can you explain me how local variable are declared in self? I always
wanted to know and forgot since I looke at self.
Can you show me a piece of code with a block defining a variable and
accessing it?

>  If you replace just some of these, then the language
> becomes more complex instead of simpler. If you replace all of these,
> then having an efficient enough implementation becomes a real problem.
>
> I wouldn't worry about this change making all IVs public, but would
> instead add some reasonable namespace mechanism.
>
> -- Jecel

Prof. Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
different? ...  especially if,
  by doing something different, today might not be your last day on
earth" Calvin&Hobbes

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it..." Alan Kay.

Open Source Smalltalks: http://www.squeak.org,
http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/smalltalk.html
Free books for Universities at
http://www.esug.org/sponsoring/promotionProgram.html