Need feedback on simple idea

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Apr 11 07:56:08 UTC 2003

Did I say that we should change squeak?

here is what I wrote:

"I would like to know what you would think of the following change in
Smalltalk.
We are really in the mood to make some change in the compiler to play
with the idea
for our research."

Stef

On Friday, April 11, 2003, at 05:12 AM, Stephen Pair wrote:

> Frank Sergeant wrote:
>
>> And, VW added name spaces and look what it achieved.  VW 3.x had the
>> refactoring browser.  That was thrown away in the move to VW 5.xx
>> because the addition of name spaces meant the refactoring browser no
>> longer worked in 5.xx.  For *years* VW did without the refactoring
>> browser.  Dolphin even had the refactoring browser before VW once
>> again
>> had it working.  I gather many people refused to upgrade from VW 3.x
>> later versions because of the missing refactoring browser (the one
>> that
>> was *thrown away* due to VW adding name spaces (in case I was being
>> too
>> subtle and circumspect in making my point)).
> You're absolutely right, we should just stop changing things.
>
> - Stephen

Prof. Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
different? ...  especially if,
  by doing something different, today might not be your last day on
earth" Calvin&Hobbes

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it..." Alan Kay.

Open Source Smalltalks: http://www.squeak.org,
http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/smalltalk.html
Free books for Universities at
http://www.esug.org/sponsoring/promotionProgram.html