KCP call for idea, experience

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Apr 14 07:41:22 UTC 2003

Hi tim

>> I would like to have your point of view on how to clean
>> SystemDictionary.
> OK; here is a rather extreme view on a possible approach.
>
> 'Smalltalk' the global variable that holds all global variables should
> be an Environment (or subclass thereof) and SystemDictionary should not
> exist. All the methods not directly to do with the use of 'Smalltalk'
> as
> the default or root Environment belong somewhere else.

Agree

> Addressing some specific pints:-
>> Now the question SystemDictionary has far too much responsibilities as
>> we can see:
>> I tried to make already some conceptual groups
>>
>> 	- browsing (easy we can move that to systemNavigation)
> What would be wrong with moving them to Browser? Probably class side.
> "Browser onAllMethodsWhere:[:cm| cm primitive = 117 and:[cm literals
> second == 'FilePlugin']] " for example instead of "Smalltalk
> browseAllSelect:[:cm......"

The idea of SystemNavigation is that all the tools can then call these
functions.
When I read the comments of the methods I moved from Behavior to
SystemNavigation, I saw that part of the motivation to put them there
was so that multiple clients could reuse them.

>> 	- namespace fonctionality (this is clearly the responsibility of
>> SystemDictionary 	so this should stay there)
> See above.
>>
>> 	- benchmarks (someone proposed to move the benchmarks into a separate
>> class, it 	is correct or did I get hallucinations?)
> Moved to MacroBenchmarks by Markus D and Benchmarks (for the old Green
> Book benchmarks) by me. Could do with merging I suggest.

Yes I added that on the wiki page

>> 	- time ??
> Time class
>>
>> 	- space profiler (-> Profiler class ?)
>>
>> 	- shrink scripts (May be this was for shrinking that someone proposed
>> to move the 	them into a separate class, it is correct ?)
> Will cease to be needed seen, if all goes to plan.
>> 	- sources and changes
> Make a new class. SourceFileManager is a horrible but descriptive name.
>>
>> 	- VM support such a isLittleEndian
> SystemDescription would be a good place for all the stuff relating to
> what platform is in use, what keyboard mapping, mouse button reversal,
> endianness, colour of reset button etc.
>
>> 	- snapshot functionality such as addToShutDown
>> 	- profiling (could go with VM support)
>> 	- Pluggins list access
>> 	- special Object and GC (in VW there are I guess in ObjectMemory the
>> class that 	represent the memory)
>> 	- platformInformation
>> 	- VM parameters
>> 	- memorySpace
>> 	- power disabling
> (There is already a PowerManagement class this could go to )
>>> 	- screen management -> Display
>> 	- all kind of other not related information such as itsyVoltage...
> Could all go in SystemDescription without seeming too awful. Except
> possibly the startup & shutdown lists.
>>
>> I imagine easily that the VM has some knowledge that some methods are
>> really defined
>> on this class.
> As Andreas said, no problems. None of the primitives have a clue about
> Smalltalk or SystemDictionary. Excpet very indirectly the
> specialObjectsArray stuff but nothing to worry about there.

Tim I will give a try and if you want (I hope) I would like to have
feedback on that.

Stef

> Prof. Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
different? ...  especially if,
  by doing something different, today might not be your last day on
earth" Calvin&Hobbes

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it..." Alan Kay.

Open Source Smalltalks: http://www.squeak.org,
http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/smalltalk.html
Free books for Universities at
http://www.esug.org/sponsoring/promotionProgram.html