Distributed Squeak

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at hetnet.nl
Mon Apr 14 09:34:02 UTC 2003

Hello Squeakers.

After studying distributed systems, distributed algorithms, parallel
programming, and the associated practical work at uni, I think I'm
almost ready to tackle an ambitious project:

Distributed Squeak.

Okay, it's been done before. But I'm going to do it again, and better
:-). This will be my master's project (although it still has to be
formally confirmed), and I've got 6 months to do it (until November). At
the moment, all my ideas are a bit hand-wavy, but I'll be digging in and
designing lots of things once I've finished hacking the Minix kernel
(another practical at Uni).

See the homepage for the basic idea - http://dpon.sourceforge.net. More
info will be added when I've managed to write it up.

Basically what I want to do is make a distributed, multi-user Squeak
"image" (although it wouldn't really be an image anymore). So instead of
starting up Squeak locally, you'd start up a "client" and log into a
network of Squeak servers on the Internet. Objects could be migratable,
remotely invocable or replicated, depending on the implementation of
each distributed object. The advantages should be obvious -
collaborative development for one. SqueakMap wouldn't be needed because
everybody is using the same "image" concurrently. I'll quietly not
mention the disadvantages :-).

I think it can be done. It's just difficult, not impossible.

If anybody knows of any related existing systems or technology not
mentioned on dpon.sourceforge.net, I'd like to know. Also, feedback on
whether this is actually a sane idea is greatly appreciated before I
waste 6 months of my life :-).

Michael.