[Q] slow animated dashed lines/connectors

Martin Drautzburg martin.drautzburg at web.de
Sat Apr 19 16:36:01 UTC 2003

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> writes:

> Some questions:

1 GHz Athlon, the Squeak UI is usually very responsive. The lines are
straight linel.

> I believe, though, that you're right about repeated redrawing (this
> isn't a Connectors problem as such

I only put the word "connectors" in the subject because (1) it really
is a connector and (2) to attract your attention.

> I guess the reason I never tried to do anything about this is that I
> find more than about one animated dashed line to be visually
> annoying.

In this particular case the animation visualizes a "Mail Flow" (postal
automation). It looks very intuitive. There can be many mailflows
though.

In any case:

I got several interesting responses to this question and other speed
related issues pointing to "caching Morphs in a Form". I could not
figure out how to do this. I found a Class CachingMorph, but it seems
to unused in Squeak itself.

Can you give me a good starting point ?