[CONNECTORS] performance improvement idea (was RE: [Q] slow animated dashed lines/connectors)

Hernan Tylim htylim at yahoo.com.ar
Sat Apr 19 16:38:57 UTC 2003

> > 	My guess is that when you have too many connectors and they only
> > are computing constraints (there are not too mach drawing involved)
> > all this #step execution shouldn't affect the UI no more. But I
> > didn't test it.
>
> I think this isn't a problem with the constraint computation, but with
> the repeated redrawing.

Because it happened to me in a drawing without moving morphs I thought that
rather than the redrawing it could be the amount of steps method. (I think
that I had like 30 connectors, each one with a label).

> > 	Ned, What do you think about this idea? Is it doable?
>
> Could be. There are three different step methods active in this case:
>
> * the Connector step method, which is trying to compute the proper
> parent for the Connector. This could be lower priority.
> * the constraint step methods, which return quickly after computing
> the target if they don't have to move.
> * the PolygonMorph step method, which is animating the dashed line
> (and causing a redraw).

I will try it and I will let you know the results.

> > NOTE: I didn't execute any profiler so I don't really know that the
> > step methods are the ones causing the sluggishness.
>
> I have noticed some slowdown in *very* complicated Connectors drawings
> because of the step methods. But then I got a faster computer, and it
> didn't bother me any more.

Well, yes. I must confess that I need a hardware upgrade too. :)

Thanks!

Regards,
Hernán