system category bungle

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Mon Apr 21 19:05:51 UTC 2003

Derek Brans <brans at nerdonawire.com>  writes in...
>I tried to change the order of about 7 system categories (my own).
>After accepting the changes, I ended up with the following "alien" categories.
>
>('X #2')
>('X #2 #2')
>('X #2 #2 #2')
>('X')
>
>How dangerous is reorganizing? Can you make any fatal flaws?  Is
>there a way to undo those flaws?

Of course it depends what is fatal to you.  As far as I can tell from
the current code (and what I remember), the reorganization process
takes some pains to ensure that you don't lose any elements.  There
is some undocumented code in there that creates these #2 symbols
(apparently an attempt to make a symbol that smacks of duplication)
in the case of duplicated categories.  Since yours appear not as
'zort #2' but as simply #2, it is likely that you got a couple of
non-printing characters in there by mistake and that you didn't lose
anything from your original categorization.

It is fairly simple to recover missing elements if that becomes
important (essentially by enumerating classes and classifying them
as, eg, 'Unclassified' if they are not found in the
SystemOrganization.  If anyone is feeling bored out there, it would
be useful to write a method that verifies consistency of the SO in
this manner, and offers to perform this recovery if necessary.

Hope this helps

	- Dan