[Q] Strikefont - characterToGlyphMap (MacRoman vs. Windowsencoding)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Thu Apr 24 20:31:55 UTC 2003

Hannes Hirzel wrote:

> BTW the fonts as rendered by your Win32NativeFonts look very nice and
> crisp. The somewhat make-shift look of the Squeak screens vanishes even
> without Diegos enhancements added. Why can't we have similar high
> quality bitmap fonts in the stock image.

There is Yoshiki's TrueTypeTextStyle package, which display high quality
(antialiased in this case) fonts in a cross-platform way.  I'd like to look at
adding that when we get to the larger-enhancement harvesting part of the 3.6
schedule.

The Win32NativeFonts are also very nice, but they're platform-specific, so we
probably wouldn't want them in the stock image.

Anyway, I agree that better fonts are probably the most important part in
improving Squeak's look.

- Doug Way