timeout on web

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Fri Apr 25 07:56:25 UTC 2003

Hi all!

(just back from my honeyweekend in Florence, jay - happily married!)

Janet Abdul-Karim <jn_karim at yahoo.com> wrote:
> A program is being created where you can login via the web, what I am trying to figure out is if the user is longed in and they are idle for some period of time the program will automatically log them out.  If there any info anyone can direct me towards so that I can do this.  Thanks in advance.

Comanche has support for such "sessions" as packaged on SqueakMap. Very
easy to use. The technique is basically that you set a "session id"
cookie (cookie = a String stored on the client) for the user when he/she
logs in. Subsequent requests from that client will send that cookie
along and the server can then keep track of how long time has passed
since the last request and possibly "auto logout" sessions.

All this is done by Comanche today, originally thanks to Diego Gomez
Deck.

regards, Göran