Magma isn't working.

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Fri Apr 25 09:57:42 UTC 2003

Michael van der Gulik <mikevdg at hetnet.nl> wrote:
> Ahh.. Magma isn't doing it for me. The first step fails:
>
>   MagmaRepositoryController
>     create: '/home/mikevdg/sq/myRepository.magma'
>     root: Dictionary new.
>
> I don't know how to cut&paste a stack dump, but it fails first with an
> error:
> "MessageNotUnderstood: binary", and the offending message send seems to
> be in "MaLargeCollectionOfIntegers>>create:" which looks like this:
>
> create: fileNameString
>     file _
>         (FileStream concreteStream new
>             open: fileNameString
>             forWrite: true) binary.
>     self writeHeader
>
> (FileStream concreteStream new) is a StandardFileStream, and the
> "binary" method seems to exist in that class.

The #open:forWrite: method is probably returning nil which in turn is
sent #binary - which it doesn't understand. An MNU or DNU (Message not
understood, do not understand) is the common symptom when a nil value is
erroneusly used. Chris could add some Exception handling code to the
above but anyway:

So the problem is that the file with the given filename can not be
opened for writing, possibly something with an oncorrect path or a
permission problem?

I haven't tested Magma under Linux myself (but I think Chris has) but
the error above has most surely nothing to do with Magma.

regards, Göran