Latest VMMaker package on SM

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Aug 1 00:40:18 UTC 2003

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:

> Have you tried this in a clean 3.6b image, and with the Squeak-3.4-1
> package from Ian's site? I'm trying to develop plugins, and don't
> know whether the 3.5 sources actually will work.
Not in a while. I just don't make much use of my RH x86 box; the UI
irritates the hell out of me and it just puts me off enough that I avoid
it. Poor excuse, but true nonetheless.

Last time I tried was a couple of months ago when developing the 3.6a
package and everything worked just fine with both the 3.4 unix platform
files off SF and the 3.5 ones out of Ian's site. There was an attempt to
upload the 3.5 stuff, Ian objected and asked us to wait a couple of
weeks and I don't think anything has changed since then.

> I can't compile it under Linux because I get undefined references to
> insufficientMemorySpecifiedError and a few others that look like they
> were added to InterpreterSimulator but not Interpreter.
>
> These are undefined:
>
> browserPluginInitialiseIfNeeded
> browserPluginReturnIfNeeded
> unableToReadImageError
> insufficientMemorySpecifiedError
Ah well the crucial point to note here is the warning in big friendly
capital letters from the SM page for VMMaker that you must download the
latest stuff from SF. The missing definitions are all macros in sq.h

> And of course DOUBLE_WORD_ORDER is still wrong in config.h (I'm using
> GCC 3.2).
Sigh.

tim
There can never be a computer language in which you cannot write a bad program.