Startup time, a short review & discussion

Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM
Fri Aug 1 02:51:04 UTC 2003

Hi Andreas & John,

For what it's worth, I have two Windows NT 4 machines and a Windows ME
machine, and here are some very approximate (i.e. measure with a clock on
the wall) startup times for Squeak3.2-4956 using Squeak 3.2.3/Tea 1.8 VM
(release from Sep 5 2002, compiler gcc 2.95.2 19991024 (release).
My idea of startup time is time from double-click on Squeak.exe until the
Squeak window appears.

CPU                             OS                      Physical Startup
Time    Bytecodes       Sends
                                                        RAM
1.4 GHz Pentium 4               WinNT4SP5               512M ~16 seconds
~119M/Sec       ~2.90M/Sec
450 MHz Pentium II      WinNT4SP6               256M            ~18
seconds         ~ 44M/Sec       ~1.26M/Sec
700 MHz Pentium III     WinMe                   128M            ~ 2
seconds         ~ 67M/Sec       ~1.94M/Sec

These are very coarse measurements, but the two NT machines take about the
same time to start up and the ME machine is much, much faster, while
tinyBenchmarks more closely reflects the clock speeds of the CPU.

Any ideas to explain this?

                                                                -Dean

"Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de>
Sent by: squeak-dev-bounces at lists.squeakfoundation.org
07/31/03 08:00 PM
Please respond to The general-purpose Squeak developers list