IntegerPokerPlugin?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Aug 1 19:17:51 UTC 2003

Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:
> OK, what is this for, why should it be kept alive and who has any use
> for it? Currently it is _not_ in the VMMaker package and unless we hear
> a good reason for keeping its life support turned on it will be allowed
> to die with some dignity intact.

It speeds up Nebraska.   In particular, it is used by putInteger32:at:
and getInteger32:.  Last I checked (years ago) the difference was
significant; the interaction went from jerky to smooth if you had the
plugin.  Anyone who uses Nebraska, the way it is currenly written, would
like to have this plugin in their VM.

There may be a way to do these primitives without IntegerPokerPlugin,
but for now the code relies on them for the best performance.

Lex