csv file support?

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Fri Aug 1 21:42:31 UTC 2003

I was/am needing csv, comma seperated values, support.

My need isn't as great as I thought it was going to be. I was going to
harvest Stock data from Yahoo Finance in csv form. But they alter the
data for their csv downloads. So I downloaded 10,000s of web pages (over
4gb) and parsed them instead. And I got a "data was slow" error on every
single page. It never waited for the 5 seconds. I'm on a cable modem.
Ugh. Would that issue come up in using Squeak as a server?

However the Stock symbol list is still in csv and I would like to
elegantly handle it. I ended up in Open Office changing the delimiter to
tabs and then splitting the lines by tabs. Worked great, but introduces
an extra step. Not anything I would want to publish.

I looked for csv support in the image but did not find any.

Is it in there?

If not, I'll look at porting the freshly written Python csv module over
to Squeak. Looks like they did some nice thinking. I am more than happy
to let some smart people do the hard part. :)

Any info greatly appreciated.

Jimmie Houchin