mini image for 3.6

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Sat Aug 2 12:05:43 UTC 2003

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 14:12:40 +0200, serge <sergev at cantoche.com> wrote:

> I actually work on a robotic project and would loooove to use this so
> nice piece of software. I'm actually working with the mini image from
> 2.8 because in robotics, like with a PDA for example, you work with
> limited space in memory ( by the way, i do my tests on a casiopeia). So
> everything is great but i feel like it would be really better to work
> with a more modern image. Is someone know if someone (else) is working
> on ? I think i understood that all the project managment actually had
> this purpose : to start with a basic small image and plug-in all the
> projects as we need them, am i right ? and if so, maybe have you some
> date when it will be done ?
> thx in advance:)

You should talk to Craig Latta -- he's the current guru on image shrinking.
I think his smallest image is a little under 100K right now.

I use a 2.5 MB MVC-only image (Squeak 3.4), but that would be easy to get
down to 1.5 MB without much work.

I run my robot submarine using a Dell Axim PDA running Squeak.

I have a new page up, that I haven't linked to from the main page yet --
http://huv.com/uSeeker/poolTest/

That page shows my recently quasi-successful first autonomous test. I'm
going to be rebuilding the sub over the next couple months to get rid of
the dual thrusters and simplify things somewhat.

Later,
Jon