Extending FileList with CrLf

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Sun Aug 3 01:12:21 UTC 2003

On Saturday, August 2, 2003, at 04:23  PM, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> I have stated before that if I am the only one that believes so, I will
> yield, but it seems there is still quite a bit of misunderstanding of
> what the issue is about, so I still have hope that my point of view
> will
> be actually understood. Heck, maybe even accepted. BTW, at least two
> others have at some point or another expressed some sympathy to my
> arguments -

Not wanting to added to the chaos, I've kept out of this thread, but I
do want to chime in with support for Daniel's position lest it seem
that he is a lone maniac, howling in the wilderness.

Over the last year or so, Avi, Julian and I have had a whole series of
problems dealing with line ending conventions in DVS and Monticello,
which have some fairly specific and non-standard requirements. The
solution we finally hit upon involved utterly violating the
encapsulation of CrLfFileStream in order to make it do what we wanted.
The kind of abstractions that Daniel is talking about would have spared
us much grief.

Colin