Update servers?

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Mon Aug 4 03:55:23 UTC 2003

On Saturday, August 2, 2003, at 05:04 PM, Derek Brans wrote:

> Trying to update my Squeak3.5-5180.image, I couldn't find any update
> servers.

A two-part response...

1. The two non-European update servers from the time of 3.5 are no
longer available.  One was squeaklet.com, which was taken down and
migrated to a squeakfoundation.org update server during 3.6alpha.  But
your older 3.5 image won't know about the new one.  The other one was
at uiuc.edu and this one has been out of commission for a while, and
may or may not reappear later.  The answer here is that you need to
select "European Squeak Updates" when you ask for updates and that
should work.

2. However, 5180 is the final update for 3.5, so when you get updates
working it will tell you that there are no more updates anyway. :-)
Final releases have generally been treated as dead-ends, but lately
more people have wanted to upgrade their final images to the next
alpha, so we could add a prompt when we get to 3.6final to continue to
3.7alpha.  (usually you have to make that choice earlier, at gamma)

But you can execute this do-it to upgrade your 3.5-5180 image to
3.6alpha:

SystemVersion current version: 'Squeak3.6alpha'.

Then you should be able to fetch updates (from the European server).

- Doug