Extending FileList with CrLf

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Mon Aug 4 18:13:27 UTC 2003

Roel Wuyts <wuyts at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> - by default clients get the smart solution (since I think more clients
> are interested in the 'smart' than the 'specific' translation; if not:
> switch).
> Is this womhow reasonable,
Not to me.

> or did I completely miss the point?
Part of it. Nobody is against both solutions being available.

However, I disagree with the default being the "smart" solution, because
of:
1. the assymmetry in likeliness and cost of errors for the different
options (see my last post to Andreas, and Colin's first recent post on the
thread).
2. The smart solution does represents a hack which is often convinient,
but the simple solution represents the abstraction most of the rest of
the world lives with (at the library level). Making the conventional the
default makes communications easier.

Daniel